Tuesday 24 July 2012

summer accessories

Real summer has finally hit Denmark! It's fantastic not to wear socks or tights but sandals  and bare legs. It's so hot today that I can't be bothered to think about how much skin I'm showing which I normally do. The dress was bought from Evans, at half price. Instead of the usual cardigan or shrug I decided to pile on as many bangles as I could, and my new favorite necklace.


Evans dress






































I bought the necklace on our holiday in Mallorca. These days there are many immigrants from the African continent on Mallorca, and some of their crafts end up in the shops around the hotels. This is one of these pieces. It's made of horn so it's never cold, and it's very lightweight.The colours are rich reddish browns. To match it I'm also wearing a new lipstick that is a bit darker than my usual.


New necklace and lipstick with lots of bangles


















Since our daughter is away on the biggest scout camp ever in this country I'm a bit depressed. She's only twelve and hasn't been away from her family before for more than a couple of days. Now we can't even call her since they're not allowed to bring their mobiles. It's so overwhelming to think that she's surrounded by 35.000 people at the other end of the country, without her mom and dad!

Therefore I've done some shopping - for purely therapeutic reasons of course, and I'm already beginning to feel better! Well, jokes aside, I've been going through my capsule wardrobes to spot trouble items and gaps. After many hours of research I've come up with a list of items that I need. Trousers ought to be on top of my list, but I've given up. I can't find any that fit me, in this country or abroad. My best jeans only look good from the front, and other trousers that I have only look good from the back.

What I ended up with was a couple of long skirts (can hopefully be used in winter too), four t shirts - one for each capsule, two sweaters - on coloured and one neutral, a tunic, a ring, a bracelet plus a pair of shoes and a pair of boots. I do seriously doubt though that the boots will fit since it's not one of my usual brands.

However, what I'm most excited about is the book I've ordered from Amazon: 15 to 50 it's called.


Bought from Amazon UK





















As soon as I've read it I'll review it to let you know if it's worth the money and time. It's supposed to teach you how professional stylists work with capsule wardrobes. I've also ordered a colour swatch wallet with soft summer colours, in the hope that I can streamline the choice of colours to be found in my wardrobe.

Now, although I'm late, I'll link up with Patti's Not Dead Yet Style for Visible Monday. It's so rare that I get to wear a summer dress in this country so I can't miss this opportunity to show the world!

18 comments:

  1. The book reviews will be very interesting!
    I love your stack of bangles. I need more!
    You have the best shoes ever. If you had a shoe store I'd only buy from you because you have such great taste and love comfort like me.
    By the way, a true farmer's tan is really where there's a line on the arms where the shirt sleeves ended. I was really using it in the wrong context just to be a goof. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Joni! That's an idea - opening my own shoe store! Why on earth haven't I thought about that myself? I love my bangles too, especially since I have enormous hands and don't fit regular sizes - so it's taken me forever to collect these. I guess any lines from the bangles could be a low farmer's tan since it's on the arms?

      Delete
  2. That dress is really flattering on you and I think your new necklace is beautiful! Clothes and jewelry are the best souvenirs!!! Hope you get the book before your daughter comes home, so you get something to distract yourself with if not the nice weather and shopping is not enough of distraction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Anna! You are absolutely right about the souvenirs - I used to buy pottery, making packing for the trip home quite a task! As it turns out my daughter may be coming home tomorrow since she apparently has caught a cold and isn't feeling well at all. My husband will most likely go and pick her up leaving me to read, if the book turns up in time!

      Delete
  3. Love those bangles! And hooray for warm weather for you. Great to see that the sweater is not needed today. You look great, and I am very intrigued by the new book, too. Thanks for linking up : >

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Patti! After posting my husband and I went out to eat at a restaurant close by, going on our bicycles. My bangles were so noisy that I had people turning their heads at me in traffic - I felt a bit like a cow carrying a bell!

      Delete
  4. Happy to hear that you have summer, and your dress reflects the season to perfection. Your accessories are playful and chic.

    I remember the days when our daughter first left home for an extended period of time. It's a huge transition and takes some adjustment. I think shopping as therapy is a healthy choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Judith! Sadly she has caught a cold in the last couple of days so my husband has gone to pick her up. But I can see all the worries lining up in the horizon: When she goes to the disco the first time, when she gets a driver's license, when she moves out... Are they ever properly prepared for life?

      Delete
  5. Love, love the dress! And the sandals are fabuloso with it! Two years ago we were in Copenhagen...not being able to read the directions on the washer at the laundromat, we ended up BOILING our clothes. And yes, the one light colored item I had in with all my husband's underwear DID bleed and turn his undies all PINK! We couldn't figure out why other sustomers came and went, and we were STILL waiting for our washer to stop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Susan! You know, my husband had the very same thing occur to him some years ago - and he hasn't touched the washer since (well hardly touched)! It has to be said that he boiled a very expensive knitted top of mine which I didn't let him forget so easily...

      Delete
  6. Wish I could see the horn necklace close up. It sounds lovely! And surely an armful of bracelets is better than a cardigan any day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Terri! I'll make sure to get a good close up of the necklace next time! Either bangles or maybe a nice scarf?

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you very much Megan! It's already a favorite these days!

      Delete
  8. It is good to let our children grow their own wigs, and even with wings they always come home to us.
    You are beautiful.
    I am leaving tomorrow morning, but I had to come and tell you how gorgeous you look.
    I am taking an empty case, lol
    Much love.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sacramento! That's so sweet - that they have wings to fly home! I've always told her she should become a pilot so she could fly her parent on vacation - and now I've got another reason for her!

      Delete