Friday 7 September 2012

school outfit for the middleaged student: A pink maxi!!

At my school - a business academy, most of the young students wear jeans and a t-shirt. A few others wear suits, looking ready for the office, that they'll probably work in later.

In a pink maxi dress I look like no one else at that school! There's never a teacher, a student, a secretary or anyone who ever wears a long dress. Well, except for me of course!


Looking like no one else!







































After Wednesday's disastrous outfit I've included a photo of my backside, proving once again, that it's not as bad as it looked on that first photo, as long as the clothes follow my curves.


See the curves?






































To spice things up I added lemon yellow bangles, another rarity at my school! Plus of course my best black bangles (one is from my Swedish blogger friend Anna who gave it to me when we met in Copenhagen this summer)!


Best bangles


















For the last time this year I wore my ballet flats. They're very comfortable, but not particularly warm. Today I noticed a significant drop in the temperature, and got cold feet for the first time since summer. A sure sign that autumn's here.


Bloch ballet flats


























Am I dressing age appropriately?  It's probably too casual for many offices, but isn't it fine for a school where half the staff wears jeans? Since my work environment later will be quite creative shouldn't I then dress creatively?

How much thought should I give this anyway? The upcoming internship, in February, does seem a bit frightening in terms of appropriate dressing.

Now, I hope my back isn't giving me too much trouble tomorrow, like it did yesterday when I had to cancel my trip to Copenhagen. There's an exhibition just South of the city about India, that I'd like to see. Some friends of mine are at a renaissance fair nearby, and would like to meet me there - if my back cooperates!

As I look forward to a Saturday with lots of fun, how can I not smile? Add to this that I'm also home alone (with the dog), since the rest of the family is in Sweden on Scout's business.


Weekend - yes!






































Have you all got plans for the weekend? I'm doing my best to find substitute activities to the usual shopping. This weekend it'll be museum and a fair.

Enjoy your weekend whatever you decide to spend your time on!


19 comments:

  1. I think you're dressing creatively NOW! I'd LOVE to find a maxi dress that was appropriate for someone MY age...65. Meaning, it can't be a halter top. You look SWEET in that dress...and it's gotta be really comfortable for sitting in the classroom. Jeans can be tight and constricting. With a maxi, you have lots of freedom to sit however you like without your circulation being cut off. Me? I'd be sitting cross-legged under there. LOL! Maybe you could wear some lightweight socks with those ballet flats...until it snows that is. Weekend plans, art street fair in our town, rally Sunday at the church, dinner out with Dave tonight at the Roxbury Tavern, where I'm using the $25 gift certificate I won in their weekly drawing! They have good food and great microbrewed beer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Susan! You should definitely get a maxi dress, as you say: It's the most comfortable thing next to your Pajama! The one I'm wearing has no "age", only the love of colour and pattern! I may try to find some cute socks for my ballet flats, it's a good idea, thank you!

      Your weekend sounds very interesting, and busy! Micro breweries are a hot thing here. A good friend of ours was recently rewarded first price for his IPA, for the third year in a row, in a national competition!

      Well, you're bound to have a great weekend, hope the weather is nice too, for the outdoor activities!

      Delete
  2. That maxi is perfect on you, colour, fit, shape, everything is right. And I love the little bow detail at the back of the cardigan. You have gorgeous curves and this dress shows them off beautifully! I can't think why that outfit wouldn't be appropriate for school - you're not flashing cleavage or thigh, it's shapely but not tight, what's not to love?! I know what you mean though; in a sea of jeans, wearing a dress, especially a long one, makes you stand out, as does wearing a lot of colour or pattern. But that's good, right?!
    This weekend, I have a blogger meet-up, I am very excited! What SHALL I wear? I think I will take my cue from you, and go for a colourful maxi! xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Curtise! Yes, being outstanding is a really good thing!

      I wouldn't expect you to wear anything but a beautiful maxi dress in a lovely, colourful pattern, with some cute sandals - or if it's cold, some heeled boots! I've only met one blogger so far - Anna from Four Seasons One Wardrobe, and it was great! I'm sure you'll have lots of fun, and a few pints? And I'm looking forward to seeing some photos soon! Have a great meet-up!

      Delete
  3. There is just something about shopping that encourages more shopping, isn't there? I notice when I don't shop for a few weeks I lose the whole craving. Well, until there's a season change...or...something I'm missing. ;)

    Your front and back view here is lovely and very balanced. You'd catch my eye no matter what my age if I saw you at school. I think it's really a timeless look.

    Happy Weekend! I'm trying to get over the flu. ;(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Joni! Sorry to hear about the flu, a weekend could be just what you need!

      At school it's no problem looking very different, but I fear I have to change my appearance once I want a job, or just for the internship.

      Delete
  4. I just love this look, the shape and color are marvelous for you, and you look very confident! The ballet flats are the perfect touch, though I guess they are going to the closet till next Spring : >

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Patti! The ballet flats may have a couple more days in them as a heat wave is on it's way, hitting us Monday with real summer temperatures!

      Delete
  5. I'm sure you turn heads in this maxi, in a good way! Beautiful. I love your ballet flats.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You may have to retire the maxi when you're in the workplace again (but who knows...may not!) but for now it looks wonderful one you.

    And yes, the backside is looking good. I originally was catching up out of order so had to go see what you were talking about with the Bad News Rear and, well, let's just say I'm glad you have lots of alternatives to that one outfit!

    [Do you like the skirt with a fitted top vs the boxy cardigan? Or is it just too much volume?]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Vix! There hasn't been many office appropriate maxi dresses around, yet! They're just so comfortable that I'm sure people's efficiency will improve, wearing a maxi at the office!

      I think there's too much volume in the cardigan-skirt outfit. I've actually considered looking for a pencil skirt in burgundy instead as that shape works much better for me.

      Delete
  7. This outfit works beautifully for you! The comments are so funny - I feel the same way about my maxi dress which I posted about today: sitting cross-legged, it's like a nightgown, and part of why I picked mine is good coverage / not strappy. I wore it to the office but as you have seen, I'm probably the last person to advise on what might be considered "appropriate" business wear! ;) My workplace is pretty casual, and I relate to and admire your courage in standing out.

    I love your photos across the top of your blog with the wonderful shoes and tights!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Amber! When I finally go job hunting I'll have to go for places with a very relaxed dress code!

      After today's visit to the museum I realized that I love colourful, shiny things, and always have. That's probably not going to change just because I turn fifty!

      I'm actually planning on renewing the banner at the top, since I've got a few new shoes, and others are on the way out.

      Delete
  8. I think we all should dress the way that makes us look good and makes us feel comfortable, and you look darling in this dress! I love the unexpected pop-of-colors the bracelets add to the outfit. Thank you for referring to me! I get many hits from your site every week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Anna! I think I'm becoming addicted to the black and yellow bangles! I don't feel dressed without them!

      It's always a pleasure to send people on to my best blog-buddy!

      Delete
  9. I can only imagine that wearing colorful maxis will make you stand out in the crowd at the school. What kind of business will you be working in for the internship?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you very much Terri! My main focus is communication with older people, hopefully on a project that aims to get older people to use their computer to deals with authorities like when they do their tax returns. The place could be a public office or an organization.

    ReplyDelete